Saturday, October 6, 2007

My first yarn

Ok, so, I finished my first bobbin of yarn the same day as I posted last. Did I mention that I taught myself to spin from you tube videos and this wonderful website: http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/. Anyway, the spinning part went well, or so I thought, and then I removed my bobbin from the spinning wheel (still not sure if that is the right way to go about it, but anyway), and wound it around a chair back (no niddy noddy, unfortunately).



Oh, yes, that is a knitting needle through the bobbin to facilitate rolling it onto the chair... - I am an improviser.

Anyway, I took it off the chair back and it totally curled in onto itself! I was totally devastated... I didn't think that the spinning had gone badly, and I had no idea what went wrong. The websites and youtube videos weren't that helpful to me at this point. But anyway, somewhere I read to wet the wool and hang it with a weight suspended from it, so that is where I am now. Hopefully it will straighten out the overtwisting. I will try plying next time and maybe that will help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz - Did you ply the yarn? If not, the reason that it twisted is that singles yarns do that - they try to balance themselves by twisting in the opposite direction of how they were spun. Two solutions - try the wet blocking, as you did or ply it back on itself for a two ply yarn. If you only have one bobbin for your wheel, look up Andean plying - you'll do this funky maneuver where you wind the yarn onto your hand and then ply it back on itself (looks harder than it is!). Your yarn looks beautiful, BTW!