Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Spinning Merino

I threw my new merino roving on the wheel today. Oh my gosh, it is so soft!!! I know, I know, where have I been, of course Merino wool is soft. But I still need to say it again: It is SOOOO soft! I just love how it feels. And the colour is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

So, as far as the spinning itself goes: my hand hurts. I was planning to make a bit of a thicker slightly thick and thin yarn. Turns out that is easy to do with this roving. If I had wanted a more consistent yarn, then I may have had trouble. This roving has such a short staple length that it isn’t exactly easy to make it consistent. But I think that it is turning out perfect. Exactly as I wanted it!



Here is a seed stitch scarf that I am making out of the very first yarn I ever spun. I love how it turned out. My husband asked why I would take inconsistent yarn and then knit it up in a seed stitch pattern which only accentuates its inconsistencies. But I think that the texture is fabulous! I will be a happy camper wearing this one.


No comments: